As mandated by the New Jersey Department of Education and the Paterson School District, the following requirements must be successfully met in order to receive a diploma.
- 4 Years of English
- 4 Years of Physical Education
- 4 Years of Health
- 3 Years of Mathematics
- 3 Years of Science
- 2 Years of United States History
- 1 Year of World History / Cultures
- 2 Years of Fine / Practical Arts
- ½ Year of Careers
- 1/2 Year of Personal Finance/Economics
Also, a total of 125 amassed credits and a passing mark on all parts of New Jersey High School Proficiency Test.
AVERAGE POSTSECONDARY PLACEMENT
- 4 years of College - 72%
- 2 years of College - 25%
- Career School - 3%
Guidance services are available to every student in the school. Our counselor services all the 265 students from 9th - 12th grades.
Services include assistance with:
- Educational planning
- Interpretation of test scores
- Occupational/career information
- Help with home, school and/or social concerns
- Search and assistance with application for financial needs
- Any questions the student may feel he/she would like to discuss with the counselor.
The grading system approved for our high school is as follows:
- Each marking period grade stands alone with each having a value of 20% of the final grade.
- The mid-term and final exam grades stand alone each with a value of 10% of the final grade.
- Letter grades will be used on report cards using the following numerical scale.
A : 100-90
B : 89-80
C : 79-70
D : 69-60
F : 59-0
Grade point Scale: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0
Weighted Scale: A=5 B=4, C=3, D=2, F=0 (for Honors and College level classes only)
Principal: Honor Roll: All A's
Regular Honor Roll : All A's and B's with only one C permitted (provided the C is balanced by an A in a subject of equal or greater credit value.)
Class rank is computed as recommended by the National Association of Secondary School Principals.
Curriculum and Special Features
To qualify for a diploma, student must meet all academic requirements for graduation as set forth by the Paterson Public Schools and the state of New Jersey, along with the requirements for their chosen health career/field pathway. The coursework is heavy in the areas of science and mathematics.
Students have two possible pathways:
- College coursework in collaboration with University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ)
- Montclair State University (MSU)
- Passaic County Community College (PCCC)
- Certifications in fields of Medical (CHHA, Med. Billing and Coding)
- Dental careers in collaboration with local hospitals - Paterson Board of Health and Delta Dental.
All of these programs include required clinicals/mentorships in the various departments at the local hospital (OR, ER, Pharmacy, etc.) or at the Paterson Board of Health (dental assistant).
The academic program consists of a wide range of college preparatory core courses and honors classes in English, Mathematics and Science. Their electives include Public Speaking, Fine Arts, Technology, and various health career preparations.